Succumbing to intense pressure, Pakistan today dropped Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Aamir from the ODI series against England but strongly defended them, saying they opted out because of “mental torture” and will get all the support to clear their names in the ‘spot-fixing’ scandal.The dramatic development came after a series of meetings between the ICC, the Pakistan Cricket Board and the England and Wales Cricket Board officials in the backdrop of the host players’ refusal to play against the implicated cricketers.As the three players met High Commissioner Wajid S Hasan in London, team manager Yawar Saeed made the announcement that they have been left out from the squad for the two Twenty20s and five one-dayers against England starting Sunday.”The Twenty20 squad will remain what it is here this morning, that is 13 people. We have asked for replacements for the three who have left,” he told reporters in Taunton where the team is playing a warm-up match against Somerset.But within a few hours, the Pakistan High Commissioner said that the players had opted out and had not been dropped from the squad.More questioning by Scotland Yard A top PCB source said that the trio would be summoned for a fresh round of interrogation by the Scotland Yard later in the day and will remain in London till the questioning is completed.”They have been summoned today and will be accompanied this time by Pakistan Cricket Board’s legal advisor Tafazzul Rizvi and the English barrister hired by the Board in London,” the source said.advertisementThe Pakistan High Commissioner defended the players and insisted that they remain innocent until proven guilty. He also rejected reports that the players are due to be grilled by the Scotland Yard today and said the three would remain in England for the investigations.”They are extremely disturbed with what has happened in the past one week. They have maintained that they are innocent and on account of the mental torture that has hugely affected them, they are not in the right frame of mind to play any further,” Hasan told reporters.”Therefore, they have requested the Pakistan Cricket Board not to consider them for the rest of the matches until their names are cleared,” he added.Asked whether the passports of the three players had been confiscated by the Scotland Yard, Hasan said, “Their passports are with the team manager.”Players low on morale: Hasan Hasan said the players morale is low but they would not run away from the investigations.”They are here, they are not running away. They are innocent and they are defending their innocence. They are upright young men, in fact one of them (Mohammad Aamir) created a record of taking 50 wickets in the shortest time. We will give them whatever support they might need,” he said.”Serious charges have been levelled against them and they have to defend themselves. They will even go to court to for that. There have been such incidents in the past. You remember what happened between Imran Khan and Ian Botham, Imran won the case and we shall Inshallah stand vindicated”, Hasan said.Hasan was referring to a 1996 instance when Imran defended himself in a libel action brought by Botham and Allan Lamb over ball-tampering.Asked to comment on the ‘News of the World’ sting operation on a bookie which started the furore and the photographs of the players with the alleged bookmaker, Hasan said, “I have seen many pictures. I have been a journalist all my life. So, I know what pictures mean.”Team seeks replacements Earlier, Saeed said replacements would be sought for the three players.”When we play the one-day internationals we will be asking for replacements to make the squad up to 16,” he said.Saeed, however, refused to answer questions on the Scotland Yard investigation for which the players’ phones have reportedly been confiscated.”I cannot answer anything on their behalf because investigations are being made by Scotland Yard and the ICC and others. The game must go on, cricket will be played at its best,” he said.PCB was under intense pressure to oust the tainted trio with both the International Cricket Council and the England and Wales Cricket Board pressing for the implicated players’ removal.A source said that in the past 24 hours, the PCB had been told in clear terms by ICC that the three players cannot play in the Twenty20 and one-day series against England until the investigations are over.England board welcomes exclusion of tainted players advertisementECB Chief Giles Clarke welcomed the ouster of the players ahead of the series.”I look forward to the series being played in the spirit that matches between England and Pakistan are always played in,” he said.However, Pakistan’s Sports Minister Aijaz Jakhrani said the players may play the one-day series.Jakhrani said the three players, who allegedly took money from a bookie to bowl no balls during the Lord’s Test against England last week, will be in London to “cooperate” with the Scotland Yard’s investigation into the ‘spot-fixing’ scandal.”They are not playing because they have probably gone to answer the investigating team. They are not at the venue where the matches are being held, so they would not be playing. Probably they will not play Twenty20 matches but they might be back for the one-dayers,” Jakhrani said.
<p><img src="http://a23.29626262.net/wp-shlf1314/2023/IMG16382.jpg" alt="first_img" />‘Gen.’ Mary T. Broh, head of the presidential taskforce to beautify the city, has recommended to the Ministry of Health and the Medical and Dental Board the immediate closure of Mawah Clinic for its unsanitary environment.She told a team of Ministry of Health officials assigned to the taskforce that the clinic should be closed to enable the management to carry out a full cleanup exercise.Mawah Clinic is a well-known private medical facility in Vai Town, Monrovia, offering a wide range of medical services, from lab tests to surgery. Speaking to reporters shortly after a tour of the facilities yesterday, Madam Broh said it was unfortunate for the most famous Mawah Clinic in Vai Town to be filthy, with loads of trash including needles, testing kits and syringes.Madam Broh said improper disposal of needles, testing kits and syringes is dangerous for children and adults in the community.Broh said she wants health authorities to urgently intervene by closing the clinic until the management improves sanitary conditions at the clinic. “We were around the entrance of Mawah Clinic last week and I thought by now they would have cleaned the place and sanitize the facilities to give it a facelift, which the management has not done. This is the place that has doctors and nurses who have been to medical school but what is happening to sanitation and hygiene at the place is unknown,” she said.Madam Broh said the doctors and nurses at the clinic are very reckless in observing hygiene and other health related rules, which is precarious for those seeking medical attention there.“This is the place that thousands of Liberians and even foreign residents get healthcare services, and they need to have or observe good hygiene. With the present unhealthy condition, there is no need for anyone to seek medication at Mawah Clinic,” she said.Madam Broh said 99.9% of the Liberian population deserves better and regretted that there are people in the country who will like to see a permanent class of people in abject poverty so that they can hold on to their power base.“This will not happen because some of us are here to eradicate the problem. We will not have school cafeterias, milk facilities, among others, filled with maggots and worms,” she added.Madam Broh said she is back and will continue to work tirelessly to clean the city because “I believe in the beautification of Liberia, that all of us can live better and clean.”Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)<img src="http://a36.29626262.net/wp-shlf1314/A2036/IMG707.jpg" alt="last_img" /></p>
<p><img src="http://b54.29626262.net/wp-shlf1314/B2054/IMG13365.jpg" alt="first_img" />LATEST STORIES LOOK: Taal Volcano island 2 days after eruption 2 village execs nabbed in Bohol buy-bust Melecio, La Salle heave sigh of relief: Good thing Abando had big shoes Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next ‘Gago’ 400 evacuees from Taal eruption take refuge in Mt. Banahaw Samantha Kyle Catantan flashes her gold medal. Photo from her Facebook accountMANILA, Philippines—Samantha Kyle Catantan had a masterful performance en route to the gold medal in the Women’s individual foil competition in the Asian U23 Fencing Championships Thursday in Bangkok.The Philippines’ bet ruled South Korea’s Choi Yu Min, 15-9, in the final after overcoming Japan’s Choi Minseo, 15-14, in the semifinal.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. DSWD Bicol donates P1.5M worth of food packs for Taal eruption evacuees SEA Games 2019: Filipina fencers bag gold medal in team epee PLAY LIST 01:38SEA Games 2019: Filipina fencers bag gold medal in team epee01:39SEA Games 2019: Nicanor rallies to bring home 1st fencing gold for PH02:11SEA GAMES 2019: PH’s Nesthy Petecio boxing featherweight final (HIGHLIGHTS)01:04Daybreak as smoke, ash billows from Taal volcano01:05Poor visibility, nakaapekto sa maraming lugar sa Batangas03:028,000 pulis sa Region 4-A, tuloy ang trabaho03:57Phivolcs, nahihirapan sa komunikasyon sa Taal01:04Sold-out: Stores run out of face masks after Taal spews ash01:45Iran police shoot at those protesting plane shootdown View comments Phivolcs: Cloud seeding in ashfall affected areas needs study MOST READ ‘People evacuated on their own’ Catantan, who reaped MVP awards in the UAAP’s junior division for University of the East, posted on Facebook about her joy of winning the top prize.“My first Asian gold medal! My heart!” said Catantan in the postThis wasn’t Catantan’s first hardware in international competition after she bagged the silver medal in the 2017 Southeast Asian Games.ADVERTISEMENT No need to wear face masks in Metro Manila, says scientist<img src="http://a17.29626262.net/wp-shlf1314/2017/IMG8515.jpg" alt="last_img" /></p>
<p><img src="http://c64.29626262.net/wp-shlf1314/C2064/IMG14500.jpg" alt="first_img" />The partly decomposed body of a Corentyne man was on Tuesday discovered in an abandoned house at Hackney Village, Region 6 (East Berbice-Corentyne) The man has been identified as Roopnarine Harrynarine, 43, of Kilcoy, Corentyne. His body was discovered hanging by the neck with a bed sheet attached to a rafter in a bedroom. He had been missing since Sunday.The deceased, Roopnarine HarrynarineThe fisher is said to have been in the habit of going on drinking sprees which would last for months, during which would be periods of sobriety. During such times he would work at sea. He lived with either of two sisters.The father of two and his wife separated 15 years ago and, according to reports, he has been on that drinking spree ever since. The advanced stage of decomposition has forced Police to allow the fisher’s family to bury him without an autopsy.<img src="http://a32.29626262.net/wp-shlf1314/2032/IMG5273.jpg" alt="last_img" /></p>
<p><img src="http://a36.29626262.net/wp-shlf1314/A2036/IMG4108.jpg" alt="first_img" />The former world No.1 has not played since May 12 because of knee and Achilles tendon injuries although he is expected to announce later this week that he will return to action at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational on Thursday week.That would test his fitness ahead of the year’s final Major, the USPGA Championship in Atlanta, which starts on August 11.Woods has dropped from eighth to 21st in the rankings in that time and last Wednesday announced on his website that he had fired his longtime caddie, New Zealander Steve Williams.World top 201. Luke Donald (ENG) 9.72pts2. Lee Westwood (ENG) 8.333. Martin Kaymer (GER) 7.264. Rory McIlroy (NIR) 7.065. Steve Stricker (USA) 6.946. Phil Mickelson (USA) 6.277. Dustin Johnson (USA) 5.758. Jason Day (AUS) 5.449. Matt Kuchar (USA) 5.3810. Nick Watney (USA) 5.2411. Charl Schwartzel (RSA) 5.2112. Graeme McDowell (NIR) 5.2013. Bubba Watson (USA) 4.7714. KJ Choi (KOR) 4.7115. Paul Casey (ENG) 4.6216. Ian Poulter (ENG) 4.4517. Adam Scott (AUS) 4.0518. Hunter Mahan (USA) 3.7819. Robert Karlsson (SWE) 3.7520. Retief Goosen (RSA) 3.670Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000LONDON, England, July 25 – Tiger Woods has fallen out of the world top 20 for the first time since January 1997.<img src="http://c60.29626262.net/wp-shlf1314/C2060/IMG5004.jpg" alt="last_img" /></p>